Info for Shelters - Boxiecat offers the following suggestions and best practices for reducing litter care costs:
Buy in bulk
- Buying in bulk, anywhere from 2,000 lbs to 45,000 lbs at a time, is the surest way to lower your costs.
Sync order size with freight
- Because we supply litter to Boxiecat Shelter Partners at a subsidy, freight costs are the largest portion of your costs, and maximizing the load will reduce overall cost.
- If you order just one pallet, request a 3,000 pound pallet weight, which is our maximum pallet size - rather than 2,000 pounds which is our minimum pallet weight.
- If you are considering ordering 3,000- 15,000 pounds (1-5 pallets), you can lower costs by ordering 6 pallets instead (18,000 lbs). This is considered a "Less Than Truckload" (LTL) maximum size shipment, and will save you from paying the larger cost of a full truck shipment. If you order 7 or more pallets that will be a "Full Truck Load" (FTL) freight price.
- If you have the warehouse space, and are ordering 15,000 - 43,000 pounds, inquire about a full truckload quote instead (45,000 pounds). This will drastically lower your overall cost. Sometimes this can even result in getting more for a roughly comparable price.
- Ordering more than a full truck load will not affect costs significantly.
Summary: To maximize your litter spend, your purchase order should be for the largest amount you can store (measured in pallets). If you are ordering 3k-15k lbs, try to meet the Less Than Truckload (LTL) maximum instead, which is 18k lbs. If you are ordering 18k-43k lbs, try to meet the Full Truck Load (FTL) maximum, which is 45k. lbs.
About bulk litter from Boxiecat:
We offer bulk litter in pallet sized deliveries for our shelter and rescue partners, allowing shelter staff and the cats in their care to have a better litter box experience. Our partners inform us that various aspects of Boxiecat litter performance provides advantages in high usage shelter and rescue environments (learn more about Boxiecat litter). Please send us a note to inquire about bulk litter pricing. As a small business, we are rarely able to do direct donations.