Yes. Boxiecat is very environmentally friendly!
At Boxiecat, our office power is offset by 100% renewable energy. We want to ensure that our business practices have the least amount of environmental impact possible. Here are a few ways that being a Boxiecat subscriber virtually eliminates the carbon pawprint associated with getting cat litter:
- Boxiecat ships via USPS, which already stops at each house in America six days a week. By taking advantage of existing distribution routes, rather than creating new ones, Boxiecat subscribers eliminate repeat round trips to the store, saving an estimated 40,000 lbs of carbon dioxide emissions for every 1,000 subscribers annually!
- Boxiecat uses Cradle to Cradle™ certified shipping boxes - the highest environmental certification for manufacturing that considers the full life-cycle of a product. Additionally, we eliminate the need for excess void fillers by using appropriately sized shipping boxes, a step that also increases available capacity inside Postal Service vehicles. To learn about USPS sustainability efforts, visit their webpage at: usps.com/green.
- Boxiecat brand litter is manufactured in the United States eliminating emissions waste from international shipping.
- 100% of the energy used in our office is from renewable sources, and our production facilities recycle.
- Boxiecat brand litter is an all natural clumping clay that is biodegradable and contains no chemical additives, dyes, or bleach.
Estimating annual carbon dioxide emissions, packaging, fuel, cost, and time savings by Boxiecat subscribers:
Check our data:
Carbon dioxide emissions, emitted carbon, fuel and cost data comes from Wolfram Alpha™, who estimate based on an EPA formula. This data can be recreated by visiting www.woframalpha.com and entering "carbon dioxide emissions from driving," and "mileage." We assumed an average of 4 miles per round-trip to a petstore per customer, 12 times annually. Mpg was calculated using the North American average for light cars and trucks for both city and highway driving of 24 mpg. 1 subscriber = 48 miles annually. 1,500 subscribers = 72,000 miles annually. 5,000 subscribers = 240,000 miles annually. 10,000 subcribers = 480,000 miles annually. Plastic and packaging was calculated by weighing an average 16lb plastic litter jug(6.2oz) and Boxiecat's packaging(1.4oz), resulting in a savings of 4.8oz/per package and is based off of an average of 2 packages per month per subscriber. Cost data was calculated using an average fuel cost of $4/gallon and doubling the result for cost of vehicle ownership. Time data was calcualted by assuming one hour per round trip.